The Brown Memorial Woodbrook and Govans Presbyterian Churches are a newly merged congregation in North Baltimore City with a strong musical tradition.
We are in search of a Music Director to play organ and lead our music ensembles, including vocal and bell choirs, for our 10:45 am Sunday service. The position is estimated to take 20 hours per week following the AGO time requirements worksheet.
- Proficient organ and piano skills for leading worship and accompanying congregation and choir
- Ability to play and conduct simultaneously
- Knowledge of choral repertoire and is open to a variety of musical styles
- Good organization and communication skills
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent preferred.
The position includes use of appropriate church facilities and equipment for private teaching
The responsibilities include:
- Playing at weekly services and special services such as Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Thanksgiving Eve and Christmas Eve.
- Leading the congregation in hymns
- Rehearsing and directing the Chancel Choir weekly
- Rehearsing weekly and directing the Bell Choir
- Collaborating with pastors for worship and attend weekly staff meetings
- Participating in Worship Committee Meetings
- Supervising 4 paid section leaders
- Enhancing worship service with additional instrumentation
- Collaborating with Band -Leader of the 9:00 service for planning occasional combined services
The choir has 4 paid section leaders and about 10-12 faithful volunteers. The organ is a 3 manual pipe organ including 40 ranks of pipes distributed relatively evenly across the 3 divisions and pedals. The 1950's Kilgen organ was upgraded and expanded in 1993 by Fritzsche Organ Company in Pennsylvania. It includes MIDI controls by Peterson.
We are open to splitting the position between an organist and a choir director or hiring one person to do both.
Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with skill level and experience.
Please send resume, cover letter and a recording, if available, to firstname.lastname@example.org